Friday, October 8, 2010

pear upside down cake



Okay, so I'm really not a big cake fan. I consider myself to be more of a brownie/chocolate chip cookie kind of girl. But, let me tell you, I would choose this cake over brownies any day of the week. This has been a fall favorite at my house for the last 12 years, since I first found the recipe {in the newspaper!}.

You just have to try it! It's best topped with a soft little cloud of whipped cream, in my opinion.

Pear Upside Down Cake

1/3 c. butter, melted

1 c. brown sugar

3-4 c. sliced pears (fresh or canned)

2 c. flour

2 t. baking powder

2 eggs

1 c. heavy cream

1/2 c. milk

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Pour the melted butter into a 9x13 baking dish, making sure that the sides get buttered as well. Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
  2. Arrange the pears over the brown sugar, fitting tightly together. Set dish aside.
  3. Sift the flour with the baking powder in a mixing bowl and set aside.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until light. Stir in the flour mixture. Add the cream and milk, mixing well.
  5. Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan, being careful not to move the pears.
  6. Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
  7. Remove cake from oven and let cool for five minutes before turning out onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment