Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the candy man





The "sweet bean" pancake.

Trevor enjoying his "sweet beans." Haha! This picture is blurry because I was laughing so hard, and holding Will at the same time!

Livi, sneaking a caramel.





Squid bite, anyone?

Yeah.


The squid bites package, I feel, is very misleading.


My brother, Trevor, has THE coolest job. He travels around the world with his camera, making amazing films and taking fabulous photos along the way. Since my job as a mom doesn't include travel benefits, I have to make due by looking at his pictures, watching his movies, or in this case, by eating his candy. Trevor just got back from Japan, and he went overboard on the candy I asked him to bring back for my kids. It was like Santa came to town!

Japanese candy is great. The packaging alone is worth the purchase. It's like a little piece of bright, crazy artwork in your hands. Most of the candy was yummy...strawberries and cream hard candies, grape flavored chewy ones, tiny round lemon thingies. The kids were loving it.

There were some really nasty things in the mix though. First there was a pancake sort of treat, filled with what the Japanese call "sweet bean." We passed that all around so everyone could have a taste. I thought I tasted peanuts, so I spit it out.

Next we ripped open a package that revealed dried, breaded pork, like beef jerky with a crust. So sick! Hannah actually swallowed it, but that's just Hannah.

Last, but definitely not least on the list of disgustingness was the exciting swirly red and white package with the little elf on front, just tempting you to try it. Daring you.

"Guess what these are?" Trev asked.
I had no idea.
"Squid bites!"
You've got to be kidding me. Dried squid, cut into little pieces and died neon red. Japanese kids love this stuff, apparently.

We took a whiff from the package, and burst out laughing. "Ugh! It smells like fish food!" I said.

Trev and I agreed to eat a squid bite at the same time. "One, two, three!" Chew, chew, chew, uh, wait, UGH, OH MY GOSH! Run to the sink! Spit it out, spit it out, spit it out!!! Water! Water! Water! Blech!

Trev says, "Can I have a piece of bread or something?"

That was by far the nastiest thing I have EVER tasted. Something I'll never understand is how Ben actually swallowed a squid bite! He was very proud of himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment