Thursday, December 17, 2009

Julekake


This is traditional Norwegian Christmas bread, or Julekake {say it with me: yool-ka-keh}. I've never attempted making this before, but this week I was really craving it so I gave it a go. It's a little bit of Christmas in my mouth! I love it toasted with butter. Christmas is not complete for me without it!

I had no idea where to buy citron, so I left it out. My mom told me she has found citron locally at The Store in Holladay {what a creative name for a store, huh? It's for real.}.

So here's my recipe:

3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 pkg. yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 c. warm water
2 eggs, beaten
5 c. flour, sifted
2 tsp. cardamom
1 1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. citron

In small saucepan, heat milk just until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from head. Add sugar, butter and salt. Stir until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl, stir until smooth. Add raisins and citron. Stir in enough of remaining flour (2 1/2-3 c.) to make a soft dough. Cover with towel; let rest 10 min. Knead with a dough hook in a stand mixer for 5 minutes or so, until smooth. Place in lightly greased bowl, turn to bring up greased side. Cover with towel; let rise in a warm place (a slightly preheated oven, turned off, about 85 degrees) until doubled in bulk. Punch down, divide in half. Shape each have into a round loaf, and place them together on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until double in bulk again, about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake loaves 20 minutes, then place piece of foil over top of each loaf, bake 25 min. longer, or until deep brown. Cool on racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment